Steve Tollestrup, CEO of TEAR Fund NZ has issued the following statement defending their position on Israel-Palestine and decision to sponsor my lecture tour in New Zealand.
May I begin by stating categorically that TEAR Fund:
1. Supports the right of the Jewish people to have a national homeland with safe and secure borders.
2. Considers anti-Semitism as abhorrent and evil.
3. Rejects unconditionally violence and takes seriously Christ’s call to be peace-makers and good Samaritans.
I have had the opportunity to spend time with Stephen Sizer and his wife Joanna over the last week and have repeatedly heard him at length support a Jewish homeland, reject anti-Semitism and urgently calling on the church to be praying for peace.
I was raised by a Jewish parent ( my step-father ) with both holocaust survivors and victims’ in my family. I know anti-Semitism when I see it. I have never heard Stephen Sizer say something that would make me feel he is anything but repulsed by anti-Semitism or that he is antagonist to TEAR Fund’s position stated above.
TEAR Fund over the last eighteen years has been transparent with our supporters about our work with Palestinian refugees and poor families. In fact the very first grant TEAR Fund awarded in the 1960’s, was for Palestinian refugees. This is nothing new. I also work very closely with Messianic Jews in Israel as partners in local and international projects and peace-building witness.
Stephen Sizer has been in New Zealand hosted by TEAR Fund and Laidlaw College. Likewise he works in association with World Vision and was interviewed on both Shine TV and Radio Rhema. Do you seriously think that TEAR Fund, Laidlaw, World Vision and Rhema, all Christian ministries committed to the Gospel, would support anti-Semitism? Stephen’s message is not complicated: Christian’s have a mandate to see that Palestinians as well as Israeli’s are also provided with rights and a secure future for their families. Further he ( and TEAR Fund ) affirm that the Palestinian church be supported and equipped to be a witness of Christ and a peace-maker in the region.
In Christ whom we love and serve,
Executive Director TEAR Fund.
Steve Haas, Vice President of World Vision USA, has made this statement in support of TEAR Fund NZ.
“I am thrilled that TEAR Fund NZ is serving as host for the very important visit of Rev’d Dr. Stephen Sizer. Stephen is clearly aware of the hurdles to Middle East reconciliation and serves as a tireless spokesman for peace in the Middle East and one that is shared by the Israelis and Palestinians that live there. Stephen has my utmost support and admiration.”
Vice President, Chief Catalyst, World Vision US
- Steve Tollestrup Defends TEAR Fund NZ’s work in Palestine
- TEAR Fund NZ Hosts ‘With God on our Side’ Tour
- Steve Tollestrup, CEO of TEAR Fund NZ on Palestine
- Frank Ritchie on TEAR Fund NZ
- Rhema FM Newsrun Interview on Palestine
- World Vision VP Endorses TEAR Fund Commitment to Justice, Peace and Reconciliation in Palestine
- Israel and the Last Days: What does the Bible say? Laidlaw College, Auckland
- Church Times: Dr Sizer is Cleared
- Response to the Council of Christians and Jews
- Sabeel Challenges Allegations of anti-Semitism
- TEAR Fund NZ Women’s Empowerment Projects in India
See more photos of TEAR Fund NZ here