Stephen is the founder and director of Peacemaker Trust, a registered charity dedicated to peacemaking, especially where minorities are persecuted, where justice is denied, human rights are suppressed or reconciliation is needed.
Stephen was ordained in 1983 and served as a curate in St Leonard’s on Sea, Sussex (1983-1986). He was appointed Curate-in-Charge, then Rector of St John’s, Stoke, Guildford in Surrey (1986-1997). He was appointed vicar of Virginia Water in 1997 where he served for 20 years until 2017.
Stephen is a trainer for the Christianity Explored Course and has assisted with the launch of the Buganda, Swahili and French translations in Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda and South Sudan, as well as the launch of the Arabic edition in Egypt, Lebanon and Morocco and Polish translation in Katowice, Poland.
Living Stones of the Holy Land Trust
Stephen is a trustee of the Living Stones of the Holy Land Trust. Living Stones is an ecumenical charity with the primary aim of advancing education about Christianity in the Holy Land and countries around, by:
- raising awareness in Britain and elsewhere, educating and informing the public concerning Christians in the Holy Land, through our website, lectures, newsletter and a yearbook of academic theological articles;
- promoting contacts between Christians (and others) in Britain and in the Holy Land, e.g. through pilgrimages promoting encounter, reflection and witness;
- cooperating with other charities and groups with similar aims, by sharing activities and information
For over 25 years, he was a trustee of Biblica Europe, International Bible Society, and served as a trustee, director or committee member of Friends of Sabeel UK, Highway Trust,, Interfaith Group for Morally Responsible Investment, Christ at the Checkpoint conferences, and the Balfour Project.
Interfaith and Human Rights
In 2004, he co-authored the statement Challenging Christian Zionism endorsed at the 5th International Sabeel Conference in Jerusalem.
In 2006, he co-authored the Jerusalem Declaration on Christian Zionism for the Heads of Churches in Jerusalem.
He was awarded an MTh (with distinction) from Oxford University in 1994. His thesis examined the Ethical Management of Pilgrimages to the Holy Land.
In 1998 he was awarded a doctorate of membership in Action Learning (DPhil) by International Management Centres Association (IMC).
In 2004 he was awarded a PhD by Oak Hill College and Middlesex University. His thesis examined the historical roots, theological basis and political consequences of Christian Zionism in Britain and the USA from 1820.
Stephen has served as an external examiner for post-graduate degrees (MPhil and PhD) awarded by the University of Wales, the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies (OCMS) and also Tyndale-Carey Graduate School, Bible College of New Zealand – now Laidlaw College.
He is the author of three books, In the Footsteps of Jesus and the Apostles, (Eagle, 2004) Christian Zionism: Roadmap to Armageddon (IVP, 2004) and Zion’s Christian Soldiers: The Bible, Israel and the Church (IVP, 2007). His books have been translated into Arabic, Farsi, Korean and Spanish. He also writes occasionally for various journals and magazines.
Photography and Press
- Abela Publishing
- Awareness Foundation
- Anglican Media Sydney
- Anglican Mainstream
- Balfour Project
- Band of the RAF Regiment
- Bethlehem Bible College
- Burrswood Hospital
- Catholic News Agency
- Decision Magazine
- Diocese of Guildford
- Church Times
- Elam Ministries
- Embrace the Middle East
- Episcopal Diocese of Washington
- Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding (EMEU)
- Evangelicals Now
- Friends of Sabeel UK
- The Guardian
- Kairos Britain
- Kiwoko Hospital, Uganda
- Impress Books (Dan Cohn-Sherbok)
- Inter Varsity Press (IVP)
- Isaac Publishing
- Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD-UK)
- Lapido Media
- Living Stones of the Holy Land Trust
- Methodist Recorder (Kairos Palestine)
- Network Norfolk
- The Oxford Centre for Religious and Public Life (OCRPL)
- Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC)
- Plain Truth Ministries (PTM)
- Routledge (Dan Cohn-Sherbok)
- Sabeel Jerusalem
- Spiritual Counterfeits Project (SCP)
- Surrey Life
- Tearfund NZ
- The M.E. Trust
- Times of Israel
- The Russell Tribunal on Palestine
- The Stones Cry Out Movie (Yasmine Perni)
- With God on our Side (Porter Speakman Jr)
- War on Want
From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).